Earn £27,500 plus £1,500 joining bonus
You’ll be learning to draw on your knowledge of Chemistry or Biochemistry to technically support our operations to ensure they run as efficiently as possible. To do this you will need to do more than just ensure the analytical integrity of the data provided, but will also use this data to effect process change. At the heart of process improvements you will need to look for developments to improve the overall support provided by science functions. You’ll be working alongside internationally recognised experts with the opportunity to develop similarly. All this will be against a background of a 24/7 operation, in an environment where health and safety is simply vital.
The scheme is mainly factory-based and offers a job with real management exposure from an early stage. You will be directly involved with a range of issues that could have significant consequences and will have real responsibility assigned. You will be expected to play a high-profile role in our business. A full range of opportunities exist for successful science graduates within the business from Operations to Commercial Management and beyond.
You’re going to need a 'can-do' attitude plus a passion for the application of science within an industrial environment. As one of our technical experts, you’ll need excellent communication skills, an enquiring mind and the ability to deliver innovative, practical solutions too.
You’re keen to learn and to apply your knowledge to make a real difference to our factory operations. Gaining expertise from day one and using it in a fast paced environment. That means you’ll need great interpersonal skills and have a talent for influencing those around you. A positive approach will be essential, while an ability to problem solve in innovative and lateral ways will be desirable. Of course, in such a challenging environment you’ll need the energy, tenacity and drive to stand out from the crowd.
- ‘Can do’ approach
- Enquiring mind
- Keen to take on early responsibility
- Good Communication skills
- Able to influence at all levels
- Tenacious and driven
- Creative and Innovative
- Analytical mind set
Training & Development
- A 2:1 or higher in either Chemistry, Applied Chemistry or Biochemistry is the minimum. If you can demonstrate industrial work experience, whether as a placement or summer job, even better.
- Willing and able to relocate throughout the course of the scheme. Our four operational sites are located in the East of England: Bury St Edmunds (Suffolk); Cantley (Norfolk, 8 miles east of Norwich); Newark (Nottinghamshire) and Wissington (Norfolk, near Downham Market)
- Committed to the demands of a top graduate scheme
- Ability to undertake professional qualifications as and when required
We want you to have ownership of problems and feel true management accountability, so the course is geared very much towards early achievement. Your continual progress and development throughout the graduate scheme is paramount to your success. You will have an experienced coach and mentor to ensure you progress and keep up to speed. Every 6 months we will assess you against clearly defined objectives. You will receive all the support you require to enable you to meet our business and your personal goals.
The benefits of a career with British Sugar are an appealing mix of the professional and the financial:
- £27,500 reviewed every 6 months
- £1,500 joining bonus
- Moving Assistance
- Support towards achieving Chartered Chemist status (following the successful appointment)
- Formal and informal mentoring schemes
- Opportunities for cross-functional moves
- 21 days' holiday rising to 26 days’ after one year of service, plus 8 statutory days
- Contributory pension scheme
- Other flexible benefits
- Professional qualifications sponsorship
Back to top >>