Earn £25,000 plus £1,500 joining bonus
AB Sugar operates in 10 countries, and is one of the largest sugar producers in the world. Approaches to selling, agriculture, operations and politics vary from country to country and in China, these vary by region within the country. These different approaches have evolved over time to make the most of the opportunities local conditions provide, and will continue to evolve as the environments in which we operate develop.
As a member of the British Sugar Finance Scheme, although based in the UK you may be exposed to a number of our overseas operations and their different approaches. Through gaining a business understanding that goes well beyond 'the numbers' you will be in a position to contribute to both the short term optimisation of the business and its future direction.
The emphasis is on fast track development. In addition to real work placements you will be studying and progressing towards your CIMA qualification over your first 30 months. At the end of this period, having successfully completed the graduate programme and gained CIMA qualification, you will be appointed as a Management Accountant within one of our business units. Very few employers can offer this level of responsibility so early on.
As well as having the ability and desire to progress there are key attributes that we look to exploit and develop throughout the scheme as they form the building blocks of success for our future finance leaders.
- A propensity for leadership
- Highly numerate
- Proven cognitive and analytical ability
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Influencing skills
- Tenacity and drive
- Desire to challenge
- High energy levels
Training & Development
- Talent, drive and a real hunger for rapid advancement won’t be enough. You will also need at least a 2:1, a proven track record of taking significant responsibility and clear evidence that you can handle hard work.
- In addition you must be committed to attaining a professional accounting qualification and be able to manage your time effectively to ensure you get the right balance between your studies, your work and (most importantly!) your social life.
- Placements may be undertaken at any one of our four sites (Wissington, Bury St Edmunds, Cantley or Newark) or at our Central Office in Peterborough, to facilitate the wide business knowledge development.
Your training and development needs are paramount to your success and to ensure you are equipped to deal with the responsibilities that will be placed on you throughout the scheme and beyond, our CIMA accredited training scheme focuses on three key areas:
- Business Understanding – How and why our business works
- CIMA – Attaining the CIMA qualification and all the necessary experience required to become chartered
- Personal Development – Developing you and the skills needed to become a future finance leader
To help you we provide full financial support towards achievement of the CIMA qualification, but our support is more than just financial. You will also have a support network around you to help guide you through your journey:
- Graduate Programme Manager – to guide you through all aspects of the scheme
- Mentors – senior finance people who will provide you with an invaluable insight into the business and what it takes to be successful
- Buddies – ex-finance graduates who have recently completed the scheme who will provide support through sharing their experiences
- Other graduates – current graduates who can provide advice and empathy on a practical level
The benefits of a career with British Sugar are an appealing mix of the professional and the financial:
- £25,000, reviewed every six months
- £1,500 joining bonus
- Moving assistance
- Full support towards achievement of CIMA qualification and chartered status
- Formal and informal mentoring schemes
- Opportunities for cross-functional moves
- Contributory pension scheme
- 21 days’ holiday in the first year rising to 26 in subsequent years plus 8 days’ statutory public holidays
Back to top >>